It being a lazy Sunday, I was thinking about some of my favourite and not-so-favourite words. Here are a few for your consideration, with definitions courtesy of dictionary.com. Interestingly, they all are related to behaviour.
1. the principle or practice of unselfish concern for or devotion to the welfare of others (opposed to egoism).
2. Animal Behavior. behavior by an animal that may be to its disadvantage but that benefits others of its kind, as a warning cry that reveals the location of the caller to a predator.
1. the quality or fact of being honest; uprightness and fairness.
2. truthfulness, sincerity, or frankness.
3. freedom from deceit or fraud.
1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.
Responsible (and by extension, responsibility):
1. answerable or accountable, as for something within one's power, control, or management (often fol. by to or for): He is responsible to the president for his decisions.
2. involving accountability or responsibility: a responsible position.
3. chargeable with being the author, cause, or occasion of something (usually fol. by for): Termites were responsible for the damage.
1. the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, pain, etc., without fear; bravery.
2. Obsolete. the heart as the source of emotion.
(I also like pusillanimity but it's a real conversation stopper when one has a lisp, a stutter and a stammer.)
lack of courage to face danger, difficulty, opposition, pain, etc.
1. deceitfulness in speech or conduct; speaking or acting in two different ways concerning the same matter with intent to deceive; double-dealing.
(and no, it has nothing to to do with Valentine's Day)
eager or excessive desire, esp. to possess something; greed; avarice.
What are your favourite words?